Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Half of My Blocks Complete

With my boys away for a couple days, I have my 2-yr old's naptimes to spend sewing (do I hear "YEA?!"). I have three of my 6 blocks for this lap quilt completed. They will have red sashing between the blocks, and a heavily pieced border consisting of nearly 150 HST's, but the body of the quilt is coming along.
Here's a close-up of a block.
I used photo transfer fabric that you can print on (from Soft Expressions). I am really not very pleased with it's ability to hold the color. I used it in the spring with colored pieces, and ended up doctoring many of the printouts (artwork done by 6 year olds) with fabric markers to get the colors sharper. I have followed the heat-setting directions, but there was definitely a bit of color loss. Oh, well...I will know what is in the pictures, even if nobody else will :-) If any one has good info on transfer sheets, I'd love to hear-

17 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

This will be a special quilt for sure.

Browndirtcottage said...

Yeah for sewing time!!!!..I'm really liking this!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow, I love it and I think the pictures look great, even if you would like them brighter, I like the muted look. Very pretty!

Purple and Paisley said...

wow - no wonder they call you supermom...lol...that is fantastic!

Rhonda said...

OMG! These blocks are great. I kind of like the pictures the way they turned out. It gives the blocks a vintage look. Great job!

Lisa said...

These are really cool! I love the pics of the kids- they look "vintagey". (I have little kids, too, and I totally understand about not having big blocks of time for sewing!) I am impressed with your blocks. Very nice amd pointy triangles!

I want to do something with transfers, too, but with text/writing instead of photos. I am not liking the t-shirt iron-on stuff so far, so I was going to get the fabric that you used instead. Maybe I will think of something else for mine (like embroidery?) since it looks as if the fabric isn't without issues, either. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Maggie A said...

Tis is looking great.

Shari said...

Sorry, I've never used photo-transfer products. It sure looks striking and your piecing is very accurate. Will be a wonderful memory quilt...

Cathi said...

That is looking absolutely super! Love it!

Anina said...

Wow! Beautiful! I'm still thinking and you're just about done. :-)

Marlene said...

I've used a few different brands of photo transfer fabric, I like the EQ products the best.

Kritta22 said...

No thoughts on transfers here. I've been too scared to do it.

Your quilt is amazing! I love the pictures. It's sooooo personal!

Shanna said...

Already looking amazing!! I love the beautiful blocks!!

Kyra said...

Hello! I just stumbled onto your blog. What an interesting idea for the black and white fabrics. Are you familiar with Carolyn Mazloomi's Family Series of quilts - all in black and white fabrics.

Have you seen the Barack Obama b&w fabric?

Best, Kyra
www.BlackThreads.blogspot.com

Messy Karen said...

what a clever pattern to use for photos. i'm having the same issue that the color of the photo is not as vivid as it should be. for now i just do pics for fun projects.

Carla said...

I think that is so beautiful!

Unknown said...

This quilt is absolutely phenomenal! I just love it!