I did complete a B & W & Pink quilt in 2009 for a girl friend's 40th birthday, but did not take any photos before I gave it to her. I will one day co-ordinate to have camera and remember to take a pic when I am at her house. Until then, this is a progress shot that I took along the way. (The white squares actually contain a flower stitchery pattern, stitched in black)For the same friend, I made this cute wall hanging for her new home.I also made this top from the left over fabrics from the first quilt. Yes, so I over estimated!!! There's always the stash. As yet, this one does not have a home, so will remain a top until a home is found. It is a disappearing 9 patch and sew easy but sew effective.
Back from the LA quilter and bound, here is my result of our Bee's "Your Way" mystery challenge of 2009. We each chose a 9-patch based block and over the months made 3". 6", 9", and 12" blocks of the fabric we each had chosen for ourselves. Near the end these were combined into 12" blocks with spacers and then the big blocks put together as we pleased. My idea was that the Shoo-Flies were falling down by "weight", so the biggest are on the bottom.
The plan was for a lap quilt, but I made MORE blocks so that it would cover our queen sized bed. And I am the "wonky" one in our Bee, therefore the odd angles.
Made the border treatment with a Seminole piecing style and three (four?) different sizes of squares. The Shoo-flies have been SID and then the waving lines put between them to echo the border fabric.
I entered the Keepsake Quilting "Black, White and Red Challenge" in the fall of 2007. It was understood the 1st and 2nd place became the property of Keepsake Quilting. My entry won 2nd place which is awesome but I miss my quilt!! I was able to see it recently at a area quilt show and decided to remake the quilt but with my rules. I changed the size from square to rectangle and was not limited to only 6 fabrics. I appliqued using the raw edge fused technique. It was machine quilted on my commercial sewing machine. I used red metallic thread to create the woman's strands of hair. I embellished the quilt with rhinestones, glitter, fabric paint and small silk flowers. I love the red polka dots on the eye lids and wanted to use more of it but it didn't work since I had so much red in the quilt already. I like the "dreamy" look the woman casts. Check out my website www.laurieceesay.com to see more of my work. lol
I wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful works that you have put together over the year!! They have all truly been inspiring to me and to many others. I hope that you all had fun making your projects. I am sure it was a challenge for some and for some, not so much!
So here is my proposal...
1. I am going to keep this blog open!
2. You can continue to post new Black and White projects as you like.
3. If you don't want to continue, send me an e-mail and let me know. I will remove your name from the list.
4. Once your name is removed that will allow me to invite new members.
5. So if there is anyone who is new and would like to post their Black and White projects, send me an e-mail and I can add you to the list of authors.
I am looking forward to seeing new ideas and new projects.
Remember, even if you choose not to be an author on this blog, you can continue to post to the flickr group!