Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Falling Shoo-Flies

Back from the LA quilter and bound, here is my result of our Bee's "Your Way" mystery challenge of 2009. We each chose a 9-patch based block and over the months made 3". 6", 9", and 12" blocks of the fabric we each had chosen for ourselves. Near the end these were combined into 12" blocks with spacers and then the big blocks put together as we pleased. My idea was that the Shoo-Flies were falling down by "weight", so the biggest are on the bottom.

The plan was for a lap quilt, but I made MORE blocks so that it would cover our queen sized bed. And I am the "wonky" one in our Bee, therefore the odd angles.

Made the border treatment with a Seminole piecing style and three (four?) different sizes of squares. The Shoo-flies have been SID and then the waving lines put between them to echo the border fabric.

Sara Homeyer


12 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a great quilt....love the border!!!!!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Love this quilt, i think you have got the balance just right!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, balanced quilt and of course, my favorite combo colors! AWESOME GORGEOUS!

Em said...

WOnderful quilt and love how the white borders make the colors pop!

MamaT said...

Very nice! I love red, black and white togther.

Deb said...

this is very cool! I love the shoo fly pattern but this one is very unique what a great idea!!

Unknown said...

Wow, just love this one!! Beautiful on the bed. Job well done!

Linda said...

I have just used that same border fabric - been saving it for just the right place.

Unknown said...

Very very nice. I love your quilt.
By
Eleonora

prashant said...

What a great quilt....love the border!!!!!
data entry india

AngelDoll said...

I LOVE your quilts, especially the pink, black and white one and I still LOVE the gorgeous pin cushion you sent me in the swap! It is my favorite and many viewers too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22417689@N03/3659183900/in/set-72157622795150987/

Keep up the great work Carla.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.