Sunday, January 11, 2009

Red Delicious

Red Delicious (thanks for the idea for the name, Jackie) is started. What was going to be a small quilt is definitely going to end up a good-sized lap quilt. The pieces are so easy to piece together that I just can't stop!!

In this picture you can see the first of the red apples. The placement of the red apples will be quite haphazard. There will be one in each row but in some rows they will replace a white piece while in others it will be a black piece that is replaced.


Because I couldn't wait to see what the second row would look like, I started it before I had finished the first.


Now if only I didn't have a baby quilt to make. I'm bribing myself to keep working on it by promising myself some time each week to work on this!!

12 comments:

Elissa said...

oh i love this mix up. love black and white mixes with almost any color thrown in. can't wait to see more of this one!

Brenda said...

Looks great so far. do you mark the seam lines on these or match up the seam allowance edges? I've tried these, but was defeated. Maybe I need another technique.

Cathi said...

I'm using Inklingo -- it prints the template right on to the back of your fabric, using an inkjet printer. Along with the stitching line, it also marks matching points which make the stitching dead easy.

Shari said...

What a great idea to use an apple core! Are you piecing by hand or machine? This is going to be a stunning quilt!!

Cathi said...

I'm piecing it by hand -- I do most everything by hand, just am not comfortable with the sewing machine.

Messy Karen said...

good choice. nice plan.

Debbie said...

Looks great, Catherine. I can't wait to see a larger section finished. The combination is wonderful.

Kritta22 said...

Oh this is so fun!!! I've never seen this done before...I think I live a sheltered life!

Unknown said...

I really like how you are planning this one. It looks terrific. So glad you liked the name too!

Carla said...

It's beautiful. Can't wait to see it done. I couldn't do it by hand.

Rhonda said...

Your Apple Core is going to be spetacular. The Apple Core was one of my first quilts before I knew what I was doing.....LOL....
Great job!

Sara said...

Oh, I really love what you have done so far. I've never tried curved pieceing (I am a big chicken).