Saturday, February 21, 2009

Log Cabin Quilt Top finished

Here's the black, white and red log cabin top finished! I am so glad this is done-I was beginning to feel like it was jinxed! I finished the blocks up with no problem but then once I started to do the sashing things started to go wrong-from my first miscutting the sashing too wide to two irons burning out!
Here you can see most of the different whites I used: a white with red, a white with red and black and a white and black polka dot as well as alot of the black and whites.

Here's another black and white-I had bought this fabric years ago at a quilt show: you know, one of those rolled up fat quarters...well when I got it home I discovered it was a skeleton fabric :(
not really me...but it looks great here-I like the boldness of the white.


Here's one more black and white-its a Japanese fabric...that covers all the blacks.



Here's you can see the last white with the small black leaves-I think this was an Elly S reproduction fabric if I remember correctly.
One of the fun things of this project was using all sorts of different "era" fabrics and seeing how well each one added to the other and the overall look.









8 comments:

Michaela said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love your story with skeleton fabric. I have couple of those and it seems that cutting them into strips would help.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your quilt is so full of detail ~ really marvelous! Congrats on the finish!!!

Bebesboutique said...

Love the quilt top. Isn't it nice how you can take a fabric that you are not so sure you like cut it and it takes on a whole new personality used in a whole design.

henny said...

I love the story behind your work for this lovely red quilt...Congrats on the finish! I'm still on my way :)

Micki said...

It is a beautiful quilt! My first quilt was a log cabin. They are gorgeous!
Great job!
Micki

annemariesquilt said...

Lovely quilt and it was great the way you were showing each block.
I have tried log cabin once but I did fail. ( You have to be very accurate when you put the blocks together..) I will promise you to try again someother time though!

Darkstar said...

Wonderful quilt! I love the layout you did with the log cabin design. Really great job.

Leah said...

hey, that looks great! what a tremendous amount of work went into that quilt, i sure hope the recipient appreciates it. nice job!